With a little advance planning, you can help ensure your research trip to the Archives is as productive and interesting as possible.
Before You Arrive
- Check the Archives’ schedule to see if we are open. Last minute changes (e.g., inclement weather) will be posted on our website.
- Consult our finding aids to determine what material you would like to consult. You can reserve items through our online finding aid or by filling out the form below. (How to pre-order records – video)
- Contact the Archives to schedule your appointment in advance by filling out the form below. We have a small staff and this will ensure that an archivist is available to help you.
- Explain your topic of interest to the archivist so that we can prepare materials for you ahead of time.
- If you need to arrange local accommodations, speak to our staff for advice.
- If traveling by car, park in lot P behind the Archives’ building and receive a parking pass for display on your windshield. Handicapped parking spots are available in lot P.
- Provide a valid form of identification (drivers license, passport) and fill out a researcher form about yourself and your research. By signing the form you will agree to abide by the Rules of the Archives and also agree to forward a complimentary copy of any publication in which Archives material is used. You will be asked to fill out a researcher form at your first visit of the calendar year. The research form is valid throughout the year.
- You may choose a seat in the reading room where research materials will be brought to you. Electrical outlets are available for laptops at some work stations. You are welcome to use our WiFi in the reading room.
- You can discuss your research with an archivist and receive suggestions as to which records to request. You may also use the finding aids in the reading room to research your topic.
- You can request items from our collection by filling out a request slip. Please fill out a request slip, indicating name/abbreviation of the record group + reference number, for each item. You will find the request slips in the reading room. You may also preorder items through our online finding aid or by filling out the form below.
- You are permitted to make reproductions of materials using your camera for your personal use at no cost. There is a camera stand available. Scanners are not allowed.
Schedule your visit